Pack up those sweaters, parkas and boots. The warm weather is officially here, and with the change in season comes an entirely new array of trends. I’m a fashion junkie, and I love to switch up my wardrobe and experiment with new trends each season — and I’m always inspired by how other people interpret them as well. So I tapped into a handful of trendsetters here at Fast Horse to learn more about their favorite looks of the season. Also included are some ideas on how to work these trends into your wardrobe routine this summer.
Trend No. 1 – The Off-The-Shoulder Look
- Julie: This trend is flattering, comfortable, and can be dressed up or down!
- How to wear this trend? Pair an off-the-shoulder dress with wedges and simple jewelry like layered bracelets and small gold hoop earrings for a summertime party. Or throw on a pair of distressed jean shorts with your off-the-shoulder blouse for a casual vibe.
Trend No. 2 – Choker Necklaces
- Sam: I’m loving that the choker necklace is having a moment again. I can get behind anything from the ’90s and rocked by Gigi Hadid.
- How to wear this trend? Add a choker necklace to a simple outfit (think distressed jeans and a black t-shirt) for instant edge. Layer with other longer necklaces for a more eclectic look. Or if you’re dressing up, try one that is more delicate in style.
Trend No. 3 – Ugly Sandals
- Tara: Ugly sandals came back in style last year, but I’m thrilled the chunky, annoyingly practical, funky-tan-line-causing sandals are still “in.” My 12-year-old self would be so painfully chic.
- How to wear this trend? A slim fitting silhouette is crucial to keep the look smart and to avoid looking sloppy. Think well tailored trousers or skinny jeans, a fitted top or structured jacket and polished accessories.
Trend No. 4 – The Denim Drape
- Carlee: Actually wearing your jacket is so last year; draping is so 2016.
- How to wear this trend? So simple! Just throw a denim jacket (or any jacket for that matter) over your shoulders to rock this trend.
Trend No. 5 – ’70s Vibes
- Hannah: This summer, it’s all about the ‘70s and naturally, flare jeans are the pants of choice! My favorite style is high-waisted with a light wash.
- How to wear this trend? Tuck in a pastel or white blouse, add a pair of clogs, throw on some hoop earrings, and you’re set for work or a Saturday afternoon.
Trend No. 6 – Oversized Everything
- Maggie: All I want to wear all summer long is loose-fitted dresses and tunics. The style is super-versatile and can be dressed up or down – not to mention the fact that it feels like you’re wearing pajamas.
- How to wear this trend: Throw on over skinny jeans or wear as a dress with flat strappy sandals and simple accessories for an effortlessly polished look for the office.