Fast Horse — an award-winning integrated marketing agency— is looking for a design director to join our agency leadership team. We’re looking for a highly creative graphic designer with a deep understanding of marketing communications and consumer brands as well as the initiative to take a growing design practice and build it into something amazing.
The design director will lead initiatives to further position Fast Horse as a design innovator and highly effective visual storyteller. You will lead our design team and be responsible for work on behalf of clients such as The Coca-Cola Company, SweeTango apples, Faribault Woolen Mills, Marvin Windows and Doors, Newcastle Brown Ale and more. You’ll play a key role in growing the agency’s design business: collaborating with our account teams to expand our client base while establishing Fast Horse as a leader in graphic design.
We’re looking for someone with a minimum of eight years experience, preferably with extensive agency experience and a background in digital design.
OUR DESIGN DIRECTOR WILL:
- Develop and oversee strategic design direction and concepts for all client projects.
- Provide expertise in all aspects and all types of design.
- Create exceptional designs that align with brand concepts and project objectives.
- Supervise and direct other designers and creative staff to achieve design project objectives.
- Determine and communicate key concepts, style, tone and manner, and content of design projects as they relate to agency account work.
- Collaborate with account teams to ensure high standards for design quality and service, client satisfaction, and communicate with clients when necessary.
- Ensure that all design work is delivered on time and on budget.
- Handle design production needs.
- Establish and manage list of preferred vendors, including printers and copywriters.
- Hire and develop design/creative staff as needed.
- Coach, supervise, motivate and manage performance of design/creative staff.
- Manage profitability of all design projects.
- Grow our design business by identifying and cultivating new design projects and clients
- Assist with and/or lead agency marketing initiatives, including new business presentations, blog and social media content and Fast Horse collateral development.
- Skilled in design software, including Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop, InDesign.
- Skilled in video editing software and working knowledge of CMS.
- Significant experience in project management, including supervising staff, and meeting project deadlines and budgets.
- Creative concept facilitation and initiation.
- Ability to connect design work to clients’ business needs and objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Four-year degree in Graphic Design or related discipline.
- Minimum of eight years experience in the graphic design field, including track record for increasing management responsibilities.
- Must have extensive interactive design experience.
- Advertising, design or digital agency experience preferred.
- Initiative, a sense of humor, risk-taking and flexibility are highly valued around here. What else can you offer?
- Ability to thrive in a creative, open, fast-paced agency.
We offer a highly flexible workplace, where Fast Horse staff are untethered by a designated office or desk. We call it hotdesking. Our building is set up to facilitate communication and collaboration. You are free to work wherever you desire, whether that’s at the office, at a coffee shop, at home, under a bridge or anywhere else where you feel creative and productive. We offer highly competitive salaries, a cafeteria healthcare plan, 401K, incentive compensation opportunities, and creativity stipends.
Email your resume and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.