December 5, 2011
We dedicate the majority of our pro bono services to supporting the arts — something many of us here at Fast Horse are passionate about. That’s why we jumped at the opportunity when Mark Gehring, founder of Vega Productions, came to us last year looking for help promoting the Minnesota Beatle Project.
The concept is outstanding — Minnesota-based musicians recording original takes on their favorite Beatles tunes to create a killer compilation album. Even better, 100 percent of net proceeds are donated to music and art education programs in Minnesota public schools.
Today’s a big milestone, as “Minnesota Beatle Project Vol. 3” hits store shelves. It features a great mix of local acts, ranging from Tapes ‘n Tapes, Cloud Cult and Charlie Parr to Motion City Soundtrack, Solid Gold and The Honeydogs. You’ll also enjoy the performance by the Anoka Middle School for the Arts concert band, which benefited from a grant made possible by “Minnesota Beatle Project Vol. 1.”
Here’s a full track listing:
1. Cloud Cult – Help
2. Solid Gold – Love You To
3. White Light Riot – Hey Bulldog
4. Charlie Parr feat. Nicholas Mrozinski – Rocky Raccoon
5. Motion City Soundtrack – Here Comes the Sun
6. The Fiddle Heirs – I’ve Got a Feeling
7. Me and My Arrow – Don’t Let Me Down
8. Red Pens – Helter Skelter
9. Dark Dark Dark – Long Long Long
10. The Honeydogs – Dear Prudence
11. Tapes ‘n Tapes – I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
12. the 4onthefloor – Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?
13. The Arms Akimbo – You Won’t See Me
14. Cantus – Got to Get You into My Life
15. Anoka Middle School for The Arts – A Hard Day’s Night
For a preview, follow this link to Solid Gold’s music video for “Love You Too,” which was filmed at Pioneers and Soldiers Cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Minneapolis. You can also check out bands featured on the album at some cool events this week. Tonight, the 4onthefloor plays a free show at Electric Fetus to support the album. Then, White Light Riot and Me and My Arrow will perform at First Avenue on Thursday as part of the official CD release show, which coincides with the always entertaining John Lennon tribute by Curtiss A.
Get out there and purchase “Minnesota Beatle Project Vol. 3” at Target.com and at Target stores throughout Minnesota, as well as independent record stores across the country and through digital music stores like iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby and Rhapsody. You’ll be supporting a great cause and checking something off your holiday shopping list at the same time. But be warned: If you’re planning to give it as a gift, be sure to buy an extra copy for yourself. You’ll want this album in your collection.