What Your Sign Says About Your Career ChoiceOctober 28, 2015
By Cydney Strommen, Account Director
A few months ago, Diet Coke brought all of its agency and vendor partners together under one roof to meet with the brand’s internal marketing teams. Team members from Facebook, CAA, Google, Pinterest, Fast Horse, UM and more traveled to Atlanta for a multi-day creative workshop. To start the meeting, everyone introduced themselves by name, background and, for funsies, their astrological zodiac sign.
I’ve been in meetings where everyone has been asked to share their favorite ice cream, dream travel location or hometown, but never your astrological sign. As a proud Aquarius, I was excited to wave my water flag.
Very quickly, things got interesting. There were about 50 people in the room and the patterns in responses were obvious almost immediately. There were a shocking number of Aquarius, Taurus and Scorpio signs — way over what statistically should have been represented. There were dozens of Aquarii in the room, but some signs weren’t even represented at all.
Everyone in the room was in the marketing/creative function, and it got me thinking about what your sign could mean for your career. Believe what you want about your zodiac sign, but couldn’t the personality traits related to your zodiac sign be telling for what career you’re best suited for? After that meeting, I was a believer.
First, I was curious to see if the same patterns would ring true at Fast Horse. I surveyed our squad of 40, and found some definite patterns, although very different and not as dramatic as the responses from the Diet Coke meeting. Twenty percent of our staff are Virgos, another 20 percent are Sagittarius, and there also was a strong Gemini and Libra showing.
Curious to see what your sign means for your career? While the answers depend on the exact discipline, the signs best suited overall for a career in marketing are Sagittarius, Gemini, Aries and Taurus.
And here’s a refresher on the personality traits for each sign. Does your sign match your career?
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18) Independent, humane, innovative, unconventional and clever
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20) Pisces are empathetic, caring, unselfish and imaginative
- Aries (March 21 – April 19) Assertive, outspoken, confident and dynamic
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20) Reliable, practical and patient; they are methodical and work well in teams
- Gemini (May 21 – June 21) Energetic, Clever, Witty, Imaginative, Independent
- Cancer (June 22 – July 22) Cancers are energetic, kindhearted, imaginative and adaptable
- Leo (July 23 – August 22) Leos are natural born leaders. They’re confident, optimistic, ambitious charismatic
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22) Virgos are detail-oriented, analytical, precise and helpful
- Libra (September 23 – October 22) Libras are diplomatic, easy-going, cooperative and are able to reach a compromise easily
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21) Analytical, intuitive and resourceful, Scorpios are drawn to all things complex and abnormal
- Sagittarius (November 11 – December 21) Sagittarians are independent, positive and curious
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19) Capricorns are persistent, responsible and resourceful