Embracing The Great Minnesota WinterDecember 7, 2016
By Laura Schraufnagel, Senior Experiential Producer
The first quasi-official day of winter is upon us. The temps are dipping and it’s only a matter of time until the first real blanket of snow hits the ground. I can’t deny how beautiful that first snowfall is, adding that perfect magic touch to the holidays. But for whatever reason, as soon as the middle of January rolls around, people tend to get cabin fever and can’t book a warm-weather getaway quick enough.
When I moved here six years ago in the dead of winter, the first things I purchased were a floor-length down jacket and pair of Sorel boots. I literally looked like the abominable snowman walking around Minneapolis. But I quickly realized that I wasn’t alone. People really embrace winter here and truly love it. I will never forget a bus ride to work where we picked up three men in Uptown who had cross-country skied in from their homes to hitch a ride downtown to work. If that’s not embracing the Minnesota winter, I don’t know what is.
We live in such an active city that does a great job of embracing the winter months and making them bearable and quite entertaining for us all. So this year, I’m considering turning in my usual plane ticket to take in all that the great Minnesota winter has to offer. Here are a handful of Minnesota activities to keep you out and about (and sane) this winter season.
Hanging in Minneapolis this winter?
- Snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in Theodore Wirth Park
- December 16—March 11 — Ice Skating at the Depot
- January 12—February 15 — Fire & Ice Art Show
- January 26—29 — US Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nokomis
- January 28 —Lake Harriet Winter Kite Festival
- February 3—5 — City of Lakes Loppet
- February 4 — Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival
- February 19 — Cochon 555 culinary competition and experience
Looking for a weekend getaway?
- Escape to the Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior and hit up the Scenic Café on your way up or during your stay!
- Plan a Lutsen ski weekend
- North Shore Winery is the perfect place to go after a day on the Lutsen slopes
- January 29 — John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is the largest dog sled race in the lower 48 states!
- Escape to Blue Fin Bay resort in Tofte for a relaxing spa weekend