Adventures In DIY: A Reclaimed Wood HeadboardOctober 28, 2014
By Sam Tuttle, Account Manager
I recently moved into my first “big girl” apartment in Uptown, which has been an exciting new project for my roommate and I. We moved in with a blank slate – and by “blank,” I mean empty, considering most of our apartments in college provided furniture. It’s been a slow — but fun — process of making the space a home, and we’ve found some good deals on basic living necessities. Couch? Check. Media center? Check. Wifi? Check. Kitchen table? Eh, getting there.
At the top of my priority list after move in was my bedroom. To put it simply: I had Restoration Hardware dreams with an IKEA budget. I love a good mixture of grays and dig the reclaimed wood look, so I decided to take a stab at creating a rustic-looking headboard on my own. After a visit to Home Depot and a sprint in and out of IKEA, I was ready to dive in.
My basic supplies:
- IKEA Fjellse bedframe
- Wood fence pickets (7)
- Wood 2x4s (2)
- Minwax Wood Finish (Classic Gray 271)
1. I started by measuring out the length of my bed frame and how far I wanted the headboard to stick out from the bed. The friendly employees at the Home Depot helped me find the perfect supplies, which ended up being wooden fence pickets which had the distressed look I was going for.
2. The first step was sanding down the wooden pieces as smooth as possible (best to avoid a nice sliver while laying in bed).
3. Once nice and smooth, I used a coat of Minwax wood finish in “Classic Gray,” which had been recommended by the blog Floridays Mom. In her words: “This stuff is amazing if you are looking for that Restoration Hardware aged gray wood look.” I was sold, and she was right!
4. After the wood was stained and sealed, I attached the fencing to the 2x4s. This combination then fit over the top of the IKEA bed frame and small headboard, which I stained the same color.
And voilà! The finished product. Thanks to the kind people at the Home Depot for also helping me color-match the Restoration Hardware paint “Slate” that I used on the walls. One room down — now on to that kitchen table search…