We’re Looking For A Senior DesignerJuly 24, 2012
By Jörg Pierach, President
Fast Horse, an award-winning, integrated marketing firm in Minneapolis seeks a senior designer to join our team.
We’re looking for someone with at least seven years of experience, and prefer someone who has ad agency experience.
The senior designer will be a key member of our design team and will be asked to grow our design business and collaborate with account teams to ensure design is a strong and effective part of our work on behalf of clients such as The Coca-Cola Company, Nationwide Insurance, CaringBridge, Marvin Windows and Doors, UnitedHealth Group and more.
Our Senior Designer Will:
• Determine the objectives and priorities of a project from a strategic standpoint and conceptualize solutions that meet those parameters
• Provide expertise in all aspects of design; use the principles of design, brand knowledge and design tools to create exceptional designs that are in alignment with the brand and the concept and meet the objectives of the project
• Determine and communicate the key points, style, form and content of projects to creative department members while directing the projects, providing feedback as needed
• Ensure that a high standard of quality and service is maintained, working with account teams to deliver all design projects on time and on budget
• Establish and manage preferred vendors list, including printers and copywriters
• Coach, supervise, motivate and manage performance of junior design/creative staff
• Partner with account teams to ensure client satisfaction, communicating with clients when necessary
• Profitably manage all design projects
• Grow our design business by identifying and cultivating new design projects and clients
• Assist with and, when appropriate, lead agency marketing initiatives, including new business presentations, blog and social media content and Fast Horse collateral development
• Assist with hiring and development of design/creative staff as needed
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
• Extensive computer skills
• Design software
• Video editing software
• Project management – including the ability to set and meet deadlines and budgets
• Versatile design skills, communicating ideas both visually and verbally
• Creative concept facilitation and initiation
• Strategic orientation – relating design work to clients’ overall business plans and goals
• Problem analysis – thoroughly defining challenges and solutions
• Resourcefulness– integrating creative knowledge with business realities
• Openness to new ideas and influences
• Curiosity to seek out new techniques and innovations
• Brand principles and strategy
• Estimating process
• Sales process and sales techniques
• Value of design
• Creative process
• Graphic standards
• Extensive computer knowledge
• Design trends, process and theory
• Design software and tools
• Fundamentals of design
• Visualizing techniques
• Production techniques
• Principles of marketing
• Principles of management
• General business
• Four-year degree in graphic arts, graphic design, fine arts or communication arts
• Minimum seven years’ experience in the graphic design field including track record for increasing management/supervisory responsibilities
• Must have interactive design experience
• Advertising agency experience strongly preferred
• We value initiative, a sense of humor, risk-taking and flexibility. What else have you got?
• You also need to have a thick skin and a long fuse to thrive in a creative, open, fast-paced agency like Fast Horse.
In the past year, Fast Horse has been named as one of Minnesota’s Best Places to Work by both The Mpls/St. Paul Business Journal and Minnesota Business Magazine, and was named to the The Mpls/St. Paul Business Journal’s “Fast 50” list honoring the fastest-growing companies in the Twin Cities.
We offer a highly flexible workplace, where Fast Horse staff are untethered by a designated office or desk. We call it “hotdesking.” Our building is set up to facilitate communication and collaboration, and our people are offered the flexibility work wherever they desire, whether that’s at the office, at a coffee shop, at home, or anywhere else where they feel creative and productive. We offer highly competitive salaries, a cafeteria healthcare plan, a SIMPLE IRA, incentive compensation opportunities, and creativity stipends.
To apply for this position, email your resume and a link to your portfolio to email@example.com. Please no phone calls.